Valentine's Day is over and I have been blessed with the standard amounts of lollipops, pixie sticks and fun dip all around the house. I give the kids 24 hours to eat what they want and then I throw it away. No need for lingering. Plus, after my visit to Target on Friday I guess it is time to dive into Easter.....seriously, has it even been Mardi Gras yet?
My 5th grader came home yesterday teary eyed. It seems as though the 5th grade girl he has been admiring has a hefty, outspoken friend (that from my 6th grader), who took the chocolates that were meant for E--and threw them at Ben saying the young girl didn't want them. I pulled out the Valentine's Day handbook and tried to make him feel better, but honestly I was mad. Who is this girl? Why would she take something that was not hers? and why would she throw them at him? On the ride home there was talk that the friend likes Ben. (not a good match she is about 6 feet tall to Ben's 4 feet) Siri wanted to beat her up. (Please no, we are at Catholic School) and I am struggling. Do I let it play out? Do I contact his teacher? (friends say yes, my husband says absolutely NOT!) The crazy Mom in me wants her to get in trouble? (seriously, it is the 5th grade) and Ben, Ben told me to please not get involved, which of course I will honor his request.
When did Valentine's Day become so hard? Maybe I am not remembering 5th grade. I don't think that I had a secret admirer or got chocolates from a special someone. I am realizing that they just grow up really fast and maybe I should be Ben's Valentine for a few more years. The sad face was more than I could bear.
you tell Ben Miss Pam is coming up to give him a big Valentine hug. :)
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, that's hard. I worked in an elem school for 6 years, and it is amazing how "old" those fifth graders are. I'm not ready to parent that stage yet! Your son sounds so sweet.
ReplyDelete