Monday, August 15, 2011

Falmouth Road Race

This weekend I ran the Falmouth Road Race with 11,000 of my closest friends.  What a race!  It was incredible.  The volunteers, the people lining the sides of the road, the music, I can't even begin to tell you. If there is one race that you do in New England this is the one.
The race is a point to point race.  You are bussed or ferried to Woods Hole and then run to Falmouth.  The scenery is incredible.  The first 2 miles are somewhat uphill.  You then come around a corner and you are on the beach.  The beach was the most serene part.  The sound of the ocean was so soothing.  After about 2 miles on the beach you come into town.  What an amazing feeling.  There were people everywhere.  Bands playing, people handing out water (and beer:) and a couple of Grateful Dead bands.  I was definitely energized by the crowd support.  My legs just started moving faster and for miles 5 and 6 I was right on target.  The last 1/2 mile is uphill.  I felt like I was on Cloud 9 and finished strong.  1:00 Garmin time, 1:00:59 chip time.  Not complaining....
Now....this was New Balance's first year sponsoring the race.  There were no shirts this year, you had to buy it.  I will say that this seemed kind of silly.  I still wear my original Falmouth Road Race shirt and was bummed that you had to shell out $20 for a cotton t shirt.  (I did, it was a pretty raspberry color.)  There also were problems with the busses I guess.  I had no problem.  I got on the bus at 7:30, made it to Woods Hole and even had time to go to Mass.  If you have 11,000 runners and you show up to get on the last bus at 8:45 you might have to wait a while for a bus.  Just my opinion.
All in all I had a great day!  A great lunch in Falmouth after and a quick visit to my friends cupcake store.  Yay Summer races!!!

7 comments:

  1. So great that you got to run Falmouth! I really want to do it one year!

    As to the shirts--I have to say I have far too many and having to shell out extra entry fees to get them gets on my nerves, so I'd probably love the option not to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds so nice, especially running by the ocean! and the cupcakes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great race. Might have to make it up there one time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great race! I want to do this one year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up going to this race...as a spectator..drinking lots of beer! :)
    So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on such a speedy time!

    Sounds like a lovely course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the race! I love hearing the beach while I run. (and cupcakes after, sweet!)

    Did your family start the challenge too? How is it going. This week is movement and 1F/1V a day. Is everyone getting their points? What did you use for 'rewards'?

    ReplyDelete