Thursday, May 6, 2010

College Love Won and College Love Lost

Today I decided to take a day off from running and instead save up for my 9 mile jaunt tomorrow morning which of course led me to some anxious moments. What am I going to do while Izzie is at school this afternoon? I didn't have to clean, as my cleaning lady visited the house this am, my laundry was caught up, what is an OCD runner to do? So....I read a book for 1 hour and it actually felt good and I thought about what I wanted to write about today.
This morning while I was getting ready to take the kids to school I had the Today show on and they were reporting on a college lacrosse player from UVA who had murdered his girlfriend. Siri was in the room with me and immediately was engrossed in the story. I wanted her to leave the room and then thought that maybe this was a teaching moment. Siri is almost 10 and entering middle school next year. She has already shown a keen interest in boys and for some reason I don't know if they are the type of boys that I want her to bring home. That lead to our teaching moment, "Wow, Siri that is an awful story. I hope that you know if someone is ever mistreating you, you can come to Mom and Dad or someone you trust." Siri's reply, "Mom, if a boy hit me, I would hit him right back!" (can you tell that she has two younger brother's?)
The Today Show had me thinking about my own college boyfriend, who I thought was the most perfect boyfriend ever. We had big dreams. We were going to move to Antiqua with his Uncle and work or out to the West Coast and live on the beach. All the normal college boyfriend/girlfriend dreams. We've all had them. You are going to be with that person for the rest of your life, you pick out your kids names, "One boy and one girl please." You know what kind of car you are going to drive and you even sign your name with his last name. Of course the dream was not fufilled. He was not perfect. He drank to much, was a big story teller, never held a job, and hind sight being 20/20, used me to help him make it through school which in the end took him 5 1/2 years. I moved on to start dating my husband and realized there were much bigger dreams out there. I do have friends who married their high school and college sweethearts and it worked fine for them. I just wonder if the dreams you have in college at 21 are actually ever achieved?
Think of me on my 9 mile tomorrow morning. I am running with my new hydration belt and some different Gu flavors that Izzie picked out. Hopefully I am able to write about it tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment