Thursday, May 13, 2010

Out of Shape in Elementary School

I took the day off of running today because tomorrow is my loooonnnnngggg run. We are running 10 miles tomorrow morning. Instead, I worked at the Walkathon. Each class spends a half of an hour walking/running to raise money for the school. It was a bit of an eye opening experience. We have a lot of overweight and out of shape kids in our community. It made me sad. Should you be out of shape in 1st grade? Should you not be able to walk for a half an hour in fourth grade? What can we do to make kids want to be active?
I am lucky my four kids are active. Siri rides horses, the boys play football and baseball and even Izzie plays soccer. I talk to them about my running and how much I love it. We talk about eating good things and sometimes even eat "bad" things together. Are we perfect? Not by any means, but I definitely think we are missing something in our schools and at home. Now, if I could just figure out how we can fix it.

1 comment:

  1. It always makes me sad when I see out of shape kids. I try my best to keep mine active and healthy. And I wanted to say congrats on the coaching course. You are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete