Wednesday, September 21, 2011

OH CRAP!!!

At 6 am the alarm went off and I hopped out of bed.  I am trying to figure out if the hop out of bed did me in or if honestly I was already done in.  My hip, my calf and my achilles were screaming.  Seriously? (as my 5 year old would say.)  Yes, seriously.  I immediately started thinking about my long run today.  "Okay, let's walk downstairs and see if I feel better in a few minutes." and my favorite,   "It must be my 38 year old body rebelling against me."  (that seemed a bit far fetched and if you are wondering yes I was talking to myself.)  I proceeded with my morning, making lunches, getting people ready for school and then at 8 am I made the call.  I was not running today.  My body is telling me to SLOW it down.  That is has to make the next 18 days until Chicago and I have to reel it in.

Now I am not going to lie.  I started to cry.  (My running bestie noticed the salt stain on my face.)  I think I needed that few minutes of frustration and anger.  Honestly, my marathon training last year was 100% flawless.  I was knocking off long runs left and right, sometimes 2 runs a day with no problems.  I ran my 1000 miles in 8 months with no problems.  This year I have been hurt and run about 750 miles total.  If I had to answer truthfully this is not the year I expected on January 1.

So now my plan is to run every other day until the marathon.  6 miles tomorrow 8 on Saturday morning and then a couple of 10's thrown in next week.  I know it will be fine.  I know what I have to do.  I just have to allow myself to get there.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you did a smart thing listening to your body. Hope whatever's going on is just a small glitch - hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made the right decision! At this point taking a day off to save yourself, well that can't possibly hurt at all. Good luck with your last little bit before the big day!

    ReplyDelete