Saturday, September 10, 2011

Well....When She's Not Hurt

"Well, when she's not hurt."  That is how my husband described my life as a runner last night to a couple we were out to dinner with.  Believe me....I think the ice cold smile that I gave him let him know that I was not happy.  Have I been hurt this year?  Sure....I put a lot of miles on this body.  Do I get better and keep on going?  Yep!  What else can you do?  Yet, it made me think of what I look like in the eyes of my non runner husband.

He has no qualms about telling me he doesn't want to run...he has no interest.  He was a football player and lacrosse player in high school and college and now coaches both sports.  He did not like to run.  The rumor that is still talked about is that he had a buddy that picked him up everyday with the lacrosse team had to do their 2 mile running route before practice.  I have tried many times to get him interested in running.  "let's do a 5K together!"  "doesn't that couple look so happy together?"  as they are out for their run.  ( I actually stopped saying that though because I like that he stays home with everyone on the weekends:)  "Doesn't seeing the treadmill in our room make you want to jump on it."  My mother finally told me to cut it out.  "Rene', you can't always make somebody passionate about what you are passionate about."

It's funny my parents were a running relationship.  They got up every morning at 4 to run their 6 mile route.  They went to races together on the weekends.  They planned trips around certain races.  I think that I always thought that I would marry someone like that, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Long story short.  I asked him why he said that.  His reply, "Why did I say what?"  Exactly, he had moved on from the conversation and so should I.  I just have to remember that my non runner husband doesn't get it anymore than I get football coaching.  And maybe that's what makes it work.

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to my life!! Ha! My husband wants to know why you would run if you know you're not going to win! I tried for the past year to get him to run with me but he just isn't into it. Your mom is right...you can't make someone love your passion. Mine is running, his is body building. I think making your body enormous and then pouring into a teenie tiny speedo is just weird and frankly gross. He thinks it's awesome. He also thinks it's insane to run for 2 hours for fun! I do love your comment, "Doesn't that treadmill in our room want you to jump on?" That was a great try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine keeps asking me when I am going to stop... ummm NEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't they have to run a lot in lacrosse?

    My boyfriend keeps saying "maybe some time we can plan a trip that doesn't involve running." WHAT?? Heck my whole reason to race is so I CAN travel and go on trips!

    ReplyDelete