Sunday, July 18, 2010

A long Run for Sophie

This morning I ran a 9 mile run before it got to hot. There was a warm breeze and my route was mostly in the shade so that was a plus. I didn't know if I would be able to run to far this am as I had had a very rough night. My husband and I found our 11 year old Scottie, Sophie having some sort of seizure in the kitchen at 9:30 last night. Not long after that Sophie died in Travis' arms. We are devastated of course, but believe that we will meet up with her again someday. I did feel like a run this morning would clear my mind and give me some time to grieve for our sweet dog. I think that I cried for the first 5 miles, sweating and crying at the same time. The run continued though and I kept going. I had forgotten that part of the route was a huge hill called Christian Hill. I think that it goes up for about a mile and not just a gradual up, it is straight up. The great thing about a hill like that is that coming down always feels so good. I finished pretty strong in about 1:27 give or take.
On another note, I forgot that I was supposed to run 9 miles tomorrow with one of my running partners, Michelle. My 10 year old just gave me a massage and I took some Advil. I will have to let you know how I fare tomorrow.
Finally a little note about Sophie. Sophie was our first "child." Travis and I bought her at the same time that we bought our house 11 1/2 years ago. It was a couple of months before we got married and 1 year before we had our first child, Siri. Sophie spent the last 11 years putting up with 4 kids, 2 cats and a hamster. She was the first thing that I took care of every morning and the last one to go to bed every night. She slept on our bed in between Travis' legs since she was a puppy. She never snapped at our kids, loved all of our friends' and their kids' and really was the all around perfect dog. So....here's to you Sophie. We will always love you and compare every future dog to you. You were the best!

2 comments:

  1. oh Rene...I am so sorry for your loss. thinking of you and hope you're doing ok. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Sophie. Hope you are doing OK, I am overly attached to my dogs so I can definitely sympathize. On a happy note, I'm forward to reading your blog...take care!

    ReplyDelete