Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Funny Story

We have had a little bit of stress this week.  On Monday evening my husband called to let me know that his coworker was taking him to the hospital.  He was short of breath, sweaty and having chest pain.  But...I was not to worry as "my dad will be there at 6 so that you can go to your meeting."  Really....I think that I will go to the hospital my friend.
Off I went at 6 to find Travis in a hospital bed getting a dose of Nitro (chest pain, dilates your blood vessels) and telling me he thinks it is nothing.  Then a second dose and a dose of Morphine.  After the morphine he kept saying, "should my lips be numb or am I really having a heart attack?"  The nurse just laughed and then I laughed.  I then threw in a quick, "hey do you think that I could order those new running shoes I have been eyeing?"  He laughed, the nurse laughed and he replied, "always a runner first, huh?"
Long story short.  He has high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  He is 39 years old and a bit heavy and is now on blood pressure medicine.  I am sad for him, but also know that he can change his ways.  He is not happy with me or the doctors, but I would like to have a husband for a while.  The idea of taking care of these 4 crazies by myself would be a little bit overwhelming.  Send some positive thoughts my way please.  I have a feeling this is going to be a loooonnnggg haul.
P.S.  I ran 3 miles the other day and felt really good.  Going to spin this morning and seeing the "witch doctor" tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. I love that even in the hospital, Travis knows that you are a runner first ...

    Hope he's doing OK now, J just had all these stress tests and heart tests done. Kind of convinced him to change his ways too.

    I'll be thinking of you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Runner first... yes!

    Super glad he was smart and went to get it checked out and wasn't like most men and blew it off... and it says A LOT about him that he was preparing for you to go to your meeting... lol!

    Maybe we should all get our husbands to run... wait, who will watch the kids? Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully with 6 people in the house you have 2 bathrooms .... for my Meniere's Disease they actually have me on blood pressure medicine. Why? Because it makes me have to pee! If I am drinking water throughout the day I am in the bathroom constantly!! So you MAY have that to look forward to.

    What a relief that it is that and not worse. I mean I'd take this over a heart attack any day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Travis!!! What a scare!! Take good care of him Rene!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, that is scary. I hope that he is feeling better. My husband has been on heart medication for close to 2 years. He is only 35 and it scares me that he has to take it, but I am grateful he went to the doctor when he did. He had to make lifestyle changes which of course I fully support - no more caffeine, reduced alcohol intake, more exercise etc. Anyway I can relate on this level and I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers.
    On another note - yay for 3 good miles :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I had to rush my husband to the ER on Tuesday night because of chest pains. After EKGs, xrays, bloodwork and sitting in the ER for 3 hours with kids, it turned out to be an anxiety attack. I feel your pain :-)

    ReplyDelete