Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Why Now?

I was asked to write about my choosing to do a marathon and why now? I think that this is a great topic, there are so many reason why and it will be interesting to try to put it into words.

Last year at this time I was 25 pounds heavier and in somewhat of a funk. I couldn't really find my place and was feeling out of my element even with those that I had and have been friends with for many years. It started to get harder for me with the holidays. I had a feeling of needing to do something but, I couldn't figure out what I was looking for. I was always doing things for others whether it be my husband and 4 kids or a charitable woman's group that I am involved with. Needless to say I was depressed and realized I needed to think about myself and quick.

My first plan was to go to Jenny Craig. I needed a jump start on weight loss and could not do it myself. I was going to do it for the month of January and February. I finally was feeling good about myself. I was just starting to run again. (I had always run before kids.) Not far 3 and 4 miles at a time on the treadmill. I was losing weight and feeling good.

At the end of February two of my friends who are runners asked me if I would like to do the Worcester Half Marathon with them in June. We printed out a Hal Higdon training plan and got to it. I was feeling great and becoming obsessed. I felt like I was finding my true self and having fun while doing it. It was the best therapy that I could have had. We did the race in June and I finished in 1:52.

The week after the raced I was feeling down. I described it like a wedding. You are always so excited for it, you work hard and then when it is over you get that depressed kind of feeling. By the Friday I decided I needed to train for something else. I knew that the Manchester City Marathon was in November and after an impulsive move I registered. The weather is actually great in November, I had time to train and I talked one of my running partners into doing it with me.

I am hoping for a good race. I think it is great that we have this online group and that we can support and inspire each other. That is the beauty of running, it is kind of a univeral language.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I love seeing how so many of us have similar stories and how running (and the goals we associate with it) have done so much for getting us back on track and in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rene, I agree with what Abbi said and I can definitely relate to what you wrote when you said, "I was feeling great and becoming obsessed. I felt like I was finding my true self and having fun while doing it. It was the best therapy that I could have had." Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - I could have written that post too. Only, I didn't go straight to the marathon, I did a year of Half's first. But still - I will warn you, after the marathon you may come down again. Even if it's a perfect race. I think there is something about all that prepping and then the EVENT and then... nothing. My vote is to make a plan for SOMETHING in Dec... or a winter 10K or something like that. Just make a plan so that you have something to move forward with as soon as the M is over! I always try to do the New Year's Day 10K here in Richmond. I feel that if I can run a 10K on January first, I can do pretty much ANYTHING over the course of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading stories like this. We can all relate. I really discovered some great things about myself through running. It is such a gift.

    Our marathons are about a week apart. I can't wait to hear how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete