Today was my last 20 for Marathon training. It was a hard 20. My running friend Michele picked our route that just happended to have many hills the first 10 miles and not just "hills" these were serious straight up hills and we were pushing her 2 year old in the jogger. At one point it felt like we were not even moving the hill was so steep. We went 10 miles, took a bathroom break at the preschool and then headed out for the last 10 miles. The last 10 were tough. My legs were tight by mile 15, by mile 18 my feet hurt and at mile 20 my stomach felt like it was about to explode. I did nothing different in my run except I ate chocolate Hammer instead of Rasberry Hammer. I am wondering if I need some other fuel, a granola bar or something like that. Michele thought that maybe we had a lot of sugar and water and nothing solid. I am going to do research tonight to see what other people do for race fuel.
On another note Siri is playing volleyball this season. She came home from practice last night so excited and I was excited for her. She is working so hard right now. Between her riding, new school and other activities she is really stepping up and we are thrilled. Yay Siri! Now, if I could only get her out running....
any fuel ideas out there to keep my stomach from flaring up?
maybe it was something you ate the night before or earlier? I usually have a banana and a piece of whole wheat bread with natural peanut-butter before a run. Then I take GU energy gel which works better for me than hammer gel. =)
ReplyDeleteWish I could offer advice ... but right now I can't even fathom running 20 miles. I haven't yet gotten to the point where my miles are so high that I'm out range from my house just in case I do feel like I'm going to have a stomach explosion. Honestly, I'm nervous for when I start to have those longer runs. I'll probably have the same question about fuel once that day gets here!
ReplyDelete