Monday, September 13, 2010

A 30 K and 6 boys

Yesterday my friend Michele and I ran the Nahant 30K. We were using it as a marathon training run and we thought it would be fun to do a "race" for the training. For those of you that don't know Nahant it is right on the coast of MA on the other side of Lynn. What a beautiful course. When you weren't running on the water, you were running through beautiful neighborhoods. One house that we passed had views of the beach from every part of the house. INCREDIBLE!!! The water stops were great, almost every 2 miles and the volunteers were super. The only down sides.....HILLS. Who knew that Nahant had so many hills? In fact when we were driving over I asked my friend if it was hilly and her response was, "of course not we are on the water." But, Manchester City Marathon is hilly so this was a good training. The other bad idea, you pass the finish line and then have to run a mile and a half loop before you finish. There is nothing worse than going past the finish line at the end of a race. I don't mind it at the beginning of the race, but definitely not at the end. So....our time was 2:54 which we felt great about! Our pace was great, although we probably should have run a bit slower, we got a bit caught up in the "race" aspect of it. But, all in all a fun time...
Now to what I came home to. 6 boys, 2 girls and 2 dads in the pool. (it was 65 degrees) The first person I see is Izzie clapping for me, then one of my favorite boys asks me, "Did you win?" My response, "Well, my time was good, and I got a medal, but I didn't win. The woman who won was really fast." He thought about this for a minute and then looked at me, "Well, I guess you better train harder." You have to love a nine year old boy.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand that question coming from a 9-year-old. It's the idiot adults that I want to slap when they ask me that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visual I have of your race is beautiful! Actually, I think I'm going to Google so I can see this area for myself. I want that house. The one with the view!!
    Congrats on a fun race and a new medal!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete