Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pepper Spray

Today both of my sons had football games in the next town over. We all go as it is a total family and friends affair. The girls play with friends' that they don't see during the week, eat yucky food from the snack bar and cheer for their brothers'. Today though Siri provided some excitement to the game when she went into the car and just happened to spray my pepper spray in her eyes. Now you might be saying to yourself, "What is Rene' doing with pepper spray?" I have it for running. I am scared of animals in our rural area i.e. bear, fox, skunks and I run at 5 am sometimes and there are some crazies out here/there. Next thing you know I have a 10 year old girl (Siri) screaming because she has sprayed pepper spray in her eyes when she was showing it to her friend. I am so thankful that one of our friends and her mother are both ICU nurses and they immediately stepped into action flushing Siri's eyes out with bottled water for over 30 minutes. After we got her settled and she could see again, I had essentially missed Ben's game and Siri had caused a scene on the sidelines. All of the boys' kept asking if she was okay, what happended, which was all super kind, but I think my husband (who is the head coach) had just about had it at that point and "encouraged" the boys to focus on the game. After Siri felt better she went about her business going to the snack bar and playing. The best part of the ordeal, when my friend stopped Siri and asked her for the whole story she looked at her and said, "it's really complicated." Only Siri would have that answer. The real story, she was showing it to her friend, opened it and showed her how to spray it, then sprayed it on her hands and rubbed her eyes. Never a dull moment.
On a running note I took today off and will run 6 miles tomorrow. I am doing a little tapering this week as I am running the Applefest Half Marathon on Saturday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you on Tall Mom's blog. I'd like to know your strategies for running in rural areas. I've just moved to the country from the city and have thought about pepper spray, air horns or bear bells to come along on my run. What would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's really complicated." --- Love it!! I think I'd rather say that than give the real answer!
    ~RR

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's an awesome response! pepper spray means business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man!

    BTW, I'm going to be up your way in a few weeks for a race in VT and one in Warner, NH. Is that anywhere near you?

    ReplyDelete