Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Meeting an Old Friend

Today I am going out to lunch with my friend who I have not seen for 20 years. Yep, 20 years. We graduated from high school together and reconnected on Facebook. I was supposed to see her at my 20th reunion this year, but was running my first half marathon and that came first. (imagine that?) So, long story short we are having lunch. I am excited, nervous, feeling kind of weird, but we were good friends. You know the eat lunch together type, sleep at houses type. I am sure that it will come naturally. I honestly have never done this before met up with somebody after such a long time. I definitely get caught in my moment. My father was in the Navy and we moved every three years until we got to high school. I would make friends and then have to leave, but I never minded. Sometimes moving is good. You can start over again. When people move from Amherst I definitely get jealous sometimes. Wouldn't it be nice to move somewhere different, somewhere warm where I could wear my skirt year round, where there is no snow, and no town politics? I don't know? I have lived in my house for 12 years, my kids were born in this town, my husband grew up in this town and I love my friends. So...hmm...no I think that I will stay put for now, but...it never hurts to go online and look at houses in California, right?

4 comments:

  1. It can be weird, but just go into it that it is just lunch. If it doesn't work, you reconnected and it was fun. No pressure to commit to a life long friendship after it. Best case, it wont be 20 years before you get together again!

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how it is a little nerve wracking to meet up with old friends...but so fun!!! I had a lot of friends that moved a lot with the Navy...it can be hard to stay in touch. My hubby and I dream about living somewhere warm all the time. I think it is a product of winter but we both know we wouldn't move that far from family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun! With such a good past friendship, I bet you will both just fall right into your old selves and feel like nothing has changed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm nervous and excited for you. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete