Friday, February 4, 2011

Now You Know What it Feels Like....

I received an e-mail from my MIL asking me about my hip. I sent her an e-mail back and gave her an honest assessment of the situation. It hurt. I was in PT. My goal was to get back to running ASAP. Her response, "Now you know what it feels like to get old." Anyone out there witht a MIL knows that that is not what you want to hear from her. My mother got it, when I started to cry she knew exactly what to say, but then again she was a runner. (She is now a walker because she has arthritis in her knees, but that is a story for another day.) It also got me thinking about getting old. I mean, I am not old by any means. I'm 38. That is not old and honestly I feel better now than I did in my early 20's. (except for my bum hip.) At the same time 2 of my 40 year old girlfriends told me that I need a baseline mammogram, I guess you are supposed to get that before you are 40. Funny my doctor never mentioned this. Then Barbara Walters told me that I need a baseline EKG in case I have a heart attack. Really, a heart attack. Things are definitely not looking good for me. Between the hip, a mammogram and an EKG I guess I have a lot of things to do in the next 18 months. Holy smokes, maybe it is not good to get old.

3 comments:

  1. just like my MIL who says running is a terrible habit because it just wreaks havoc on your body ....she says as she's smoking her cigarette!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang!!

    Okay - so I'm only a couple of years into my 30s, but I feel the best that I have ever felt in my entire life! Way healthier than when I was in my 20s -- unless partying every week until I black out is considered healthy - 'cause I really don't think it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my baseline EKG this year at my physical. Get that right after you do your next marathon... snicker snicker... the nurse's face was PRICELESS... "what do you DO when you're not here?"
    "I run marathons".
    "OK, the machine is set up, oh look, you have a resting hr of... 39!!!??... NO ONE has a resting hr of 39 AT the Dr's office... it's just silly, this machine... I swear...." retest "...except you, apparently, actually have a resting hr of 39."

    ReplyDelete