I couldn't figure out why I was crying. I remembered that day 10 years ago very well. I was a mom to a 3 week old and a 12 month old. My 3 week old had colic and had been crying since the moment he was born. My mother had left the day before to go home and I was in my living room with my 22 year old sister in law watching the events unfold. It seemed like I stood there for hours watching not able to process the what's or why's...just glued to the TV. I listened to people tell their story. People knew someone who had died, who was supposed to get on the plane in Boston and didn't. People who had cousins and dads and moms and kids now without dads and moms. It was all overwhelming, but as time went on we moved on. I still remembered it every year on the anniversary. I felt sad for the soldiers who were in harms way because of these events, but it did not cross my mind every day.
Last night though it all came back. I cried for the heroism of the Navy Seals and all of our troops. I worried about an acquaintance whose husband is a Seal and wondered if he was okay. I cried for the families who had lost husbands, moms, dads, daughters and sons and I think that I cried for not remembering these people more often. I was emotional and even shed some tears tonight while watching the news.
So maybe no matter what your politics we can do a better job of just remembering the tragedy. A better job of praying for those in harms way and being thankful for all that we have everyday.
Amen!
ReplyDeleteI had a very hard time with the celebration of a murder yesterday. Don't get me wrong.... I HATE OBL... and I ABSOLUTELY think he was still planning to hurt people. But it is hard.
ReplyDeleteMy 7 year old asked me what it was all about. And I told her that OBL had done horrible things and helped plan the killing of thousands of people. She looked puzzled and then said, "Well, did he know Jesus? Because if he did, he is forgiven!" I said I did not know if he knew Jesus, I assumed he did not since he was Muslim. And she said, "Aren't we supposed to forgive others who hurt us, even if they don't ask us for forgiveness?" And I said... yes, yes we ARE!
Jen....my husband and I both struggled with the celebration yesterday. When I watched the news it seemed to be college age kids....
ReplyDeleteMixed emotions here too. Glad they "got" him, but I know it's not over with his death. And I felt uncomfortable with celebrating too much. So proud of our troops and those who gave their lives and sacrificed so much, but celebrating his death felt a little "off" for me.
ReplyDeleteI learned the news via facebook. I think I had just woken up from a nap after my half marathon - yeah, it was a late nap. Anyway, I was just kind of stunned when I read the news. I was actually just listen to the Adam Carolla podcast a couple of weeks ago and they were talking about whether or not bin Laden was still alive and if he wasn't, would they still pretend he was, yada yada yada. So it had been on my mind, and now here it is!
ReplyDelete