Sunday, May 29, 2011

Run to Remember 2011

This race was not my best. I didn't say "wow! that was fun" or "I can't wait to do that again." I love half marathon's but woke this am with a feeling of weird dread. I needed a sub 1:50 for a coral placement at Chicago, but could tell this was not going to be my day....in the end it didn't even matter because of what I encountered at mile 12.
At mile 12 I had my stride back and I was bringing it in...when coming through the Theater District I had to stop. Runner down and when I say down, I mean down. I stopped immediately, this kid did not look good. I was a nurse before I was a SAHM and besides someone being dead I have never seen someone so white. "James" was white, shaking, salty and was throwing up. He also was somewhat unresponsive....not even somewhat he was communicating by hand gripping that really had stopped by the time the bike EMS guy hot there. I can honestly say I was scared for this kid. It also made me think about race preparation. I don't know this kid from a fly in the wall, but he was running in football shorts and sneakers. Had he trained? Had he properly hydrated? Was he there with his friends and they thought they could just throw down a half marathon?
I am a prepared runner....I start hydrating days before, eat certain foods, try to increase my sleep and do try to put in the miles. A half marathon is a big deal, it is not easy. Especially not in heat and humidity and not something that you should just jump into. We so many times hear the phrase RESPECT THE DISTANCE. 13.1 should be respected, it is not easy....
I have been thinking about James all night. I am hoping that they helped him and he is surrounded with his family right now. So...a prayer for James.
Happy Memorial Day everyone. We are so blessed to have so many Armed Forces that protect us and take care of us on a daily basis. If you see one today, old or young why don't you give them a thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Rene that's really scary! The medics were really busy yesterday - the heat and humidity were just crazy! Hope all those runners having a tough time yesterday are recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a scary situation!! You are right though...preparation is key especially since it was so hot this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. That is so scary. And it's true...respect the distance - no matter what that distance is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. Well he was lucky that someone stopped enough to care for him before the EMTs showed up. That is really scary!

    ReplyDelete