Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Struggling with the Early AM

My runs are becoming early due to the change in schedule i.e. kids home from school. I have to say I am struggling. I have no problem getting up at 4:45, but once I get there every step is killing me. Today I was so tired I felt like telling my 2 friends to go on, like I was going to curl up on the side of the road and go back to bed. I will be the first to admit that I have not been eating before my run. I don't know what to eat. I am not a breakfast person as it is, so the idea of eating and chewing that early in the morning makes me want to puke. (maybe a bit dramatic) I have thought about putting a PB&J next to my bed in the hopes that I would scarf it down when the alarm goes off. Thoughts?? What do others eat for breakfast or do you eat breakfast? Definitely need some help with this and would appreciate any ideas.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, I hear you about the early morning eating. It is a struggle for me too! I do have to have some coffee though and I think that gives me a little pep. If I am going to be running hard or long I make myself eat at least half of a banana. It digests quickly and gives me energy and doesn't sit in my stomach. I have had to train myself to be ok with even that though. My sister does what you suggest - a PB&J - and it works for her! That is just too much for me but my best advice would be to try some things out - trial and error - and eventually you will find what does work for you. Good for you for getting up - that is the hard part! You will figure this out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rene, I hear you! I can't run early like this. My body just doesn't move. I feel like I'm sleep running. I think I'd rather run late at night. That is what I chose during my marathon training when the days were so short and my husband had to work late. I hope your figure this food/energy thing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel! Before shorter runs I'll grab a handful of crackers and a Baby Bell or Laughing Cow Cheese. Longer runs I'll do pb&j. I'm not a huge breakfast food person either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I hear ya! This takes time, you're body will adjust. Try a banana with peanut butter on it, it's small yet packed with what you need. Be patient with yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I roll out of bed, brush my teeth, use the bathroom, pull on my shoes and hit the road. I never eat before running unless it is a race. My morning runs a rarely over 7 miles so I wouldn't be fueling for them anyway and my a.m. paces are typically slower. I do this out of habit but also because it helps to train my body to run on empty. Sometime I have to do during ultra distance events.
    However, not everyone can run on empty. I'd say a little will go a long way in the food department prior to running. Start small to see how your stomach handles it. Maybe a quick piece of toast with peanut butter or honey and some gatorade or like drink. But start with small amounts until your body adjusts to food that early in the morning.
    Just don't let the food issue keep you from those a.m. runs. You'll find a way that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fueling you body is really much more than in the morning... look at what you are eating at night. Hydrate too. Also, think about drinking your breakfast, or starting with a GU. Just when you are ready to quit, it will kick in. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete