We went back to the car for awhile, chatted and laughed and at 1230 we headed over to use the bathroom and get to the start. The race was packed. You were signed up for both the 5K and the 10K, it was your choice as to what to do. We had already decided to do the 10K. Finally, it was time to start. There was no chip or anything so we started our watched when they said go. I could not even tell you where the actual start was. The beginning was so hectic....helllll00000 I have nothing against walkers and jog strollers, I do/use both, but if you are in a race start in the back. There is nothing worse than tripping over a stroller at the beginning. It took us a mile to get into the tempo and then we finally settled into our pace. We ran between 8:15 and 8:30 then we hit mile 4 where about .3 of the race was on the beach. I have to admit I am not a sand runner and found this part kind of distracting. Once we hit the pavement we were back in stride. Around mile 5, Michele felt like she was having an asthma attack and told us to go. I was reluctant to leave, but Gail took off and I followed. Sometimes it is worse if people stay with you and I could tell Michele wanted me to go. I started passing people, even these two guys with great legs who were talking about doing IronMans. Pretty impressive...I thought. We turned the corner and then we were in the chute. No chip meant they were encouraging everyone to stay in order and using the clicker. I kept walking and then realized that the IronMan with the nice legs cut in front of me. I wish that I had more guts because I would have said something. That is just really cheap....aaarrgghhhh....Anyway I finished at 54:10. I would have liked to PR, but it just wasn't happening today. They had beer after, but were out of water and there was no chowder as promised, but oh well we went to Christo's and got a slice of pizza.
All in all a fun New Years spent with friends. Good luck in 2011 everyone, hopefully you meet all of your goals!
Still a great way to start the new year - it's funny they still had beer but no water. Haha!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun to start to the year. Nice pace! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteway to go Rene'! It was a beautiful day to run!!
ReplyDeleteNice job, even with the few hiccups in the race details! Great way to start the year
ReplyDeleteWay to start off the year with a race!
ReplyDeleteI am right there with you on the strollers/walkers! I totally don't mind them being involved in events, I just don't want to waste my time and energy trying to get around them, especially on a narrow path!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on a great race! Your time sounds super fast to me!!
Nice way to start the New Year. Your race sounds pretty similar to mine on new years day - no frills!
ReplyDeleteNice time, especially with the sand. That stuff is tough to run in!
ReplyDelete