Friday, November 12, 2010
Post Marathon Depression
If the week before a marathon or a big race can make you crazy, let me assure you the week after can make you crazier. I am tired, impatient and an all around grouch! (it is not helping that my 4 year old is screaming in my ear right now) I have run twice this week a total of 6.5 miles. When I ran my 3.5 today I was tired, my legs were sore, but it felt so good to be outside. The air was warm and it was so sunny! It then became clear to me that I am ADDICTED TO RUNNING! I am addictied to planning my next race, I am addicted to my running skirts and addicted to my training. And like a druggie if I don't run it is like I am crazy, I have to do it, but you know what I have decided? It is not so bad. While stuff (like laundry) might take a back seat for a day or two I know when I am running that I am happy. I am happy with myself, with my family, with my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally understand. I have ran a big whopping 20 miles since my marathon last month. BLAH.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you've got the post race blues! Just found your blog. Looking forward to following you.
ReplyDeleteI always hate the letdown after a race. And yes, you are addicted. And there are worse things to be addicted to.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the support!
I was depressed too... people thought I was crazy.. I had to find a new focus... hopefully the 5k PR attempt tomorrow and the 10K on Thanksgiving and the 10K on Dec. 12th is enough to focus or... dare I even think about another marathon? AHHHHHHH
ReplyDeleteIf it's any consolation, i hear that's pretty normal. hang in there =)
ReplyDelete