Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Things That I Would Do Differently

Now 48 hours post marathon I am starting to focus on things that I might do different in my next marathon, (The National Marathon in Washington, DC). I have decided that your first marathon is such a learning experience and it can only get better from the first to second then how ever further you decide to go.
1./ I would have breakfast with more substance. I did not know what to eat that morning. I typically eat Ezekial bread with Almond butter, but that morning my stomach was so upset with nerves that I just ate a bowl of Kashi Oatmeal. I am sure that I had burned it off, but the time we hit my 2.
2./ I would not just use Hammer Gel during the race. By the third time I had sucked that stuff down my stomach was beyond upset and I felt that I could have thrown up everywhere. I would definitely eat a granola bar, my friend brought a cut up bagel, something that would actually sit in my stomach.
3./ I would carry my own water and Nuun. Everyone I talked to said that there was plenty of water on the course which there was, but I would have rather had my own. Also, I needed Nuun or Gatorade not just water. I was a little afraid to take the Gatorade because I had not trained with it, but I would definitely train with it next time.
4./ I would dress appropriately. I watched the weather, I asked other runners in my area what they thought and in the end I was just not dressed warm enough. I would have put tights on under my skirt. I would have had mittens and a hat. I would dress for 40 degree weather with a wind chill.
5./ When a friend offers to run the last 6 miles with me I take them up on it. One of my girlfriends offered to run the last 6 miles with me. I thought that I would still be with my running partners and that it might take a little bit away from the moment. Boy, was I wrong. I could have used her about mile 23 when I wanted to sit down and cry. Hindsight is definitely 20/20.
6./ And Finally....I would go into it with more realistic expectations. I had all of these big hopes, which while important I think that being realistic is a good thing to. You honestly don't know what your first race will be like and it is all about learning. I feel like I learned a lot on Sunday and can't wait to put it to work on my next training.
Now .....when does my training start again?

5 comments:

  1. You are so right. I have a long list of things that I will do differently the next time around. Running is a weird thing. You can train absolutely on the mark and then come race today the weather can throw you a huge curve ball or your body could revolt.

    You did an amazing job!!! Your 1st Marathon time is faster than my 2 marathons times - you should be soooooo proud of yourself. I was at the dentist today and they said "Hey you are the runner how did the marathon go". I said "I finished.... it was 85 out so not anywhere near what I wanted". They looked at me and said "But you finished , and you started something that I could never do". It is truelove amazing how hard we are on ourselves yet how amazing other see us.

    Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good lessons! I think even the most perfect race could always be better. You are going to apply these things and National is going to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm getting really anxious for my first which is in 3 weeks. need all the advice I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any race in which you learn something is a good race. I'm psyched about National!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you'll totally rock your next race after learning these lessons on race one. And I would like to thank you in advance for sharing this post. I am doing my first 1/2 in February and even though I read everyone's posts, I still wonder what the heck am I supposed to do? Do I eat? How much? What? yada yada yada ... so I feel like I just learned a lot from you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete